Pages

Sunday, November 8, 2009

I try to leave out the parts that people skip. - Elmore Leonard

Oh, editing. This is the part where I do searches for adverbs and duplicate words on the same few pages, read all dialogue for each character to ensure the voice is consistent, ensure all hint of cliche is removed, etc. - it's tedious, but ensures that what my illustrious agent receives is in good shape. The problem is falling into the story, and editing isn't the time to rewrite. Supposedly. But playing god means embracing the muses on their terms. Hmph.

Snakes deals with domestic violence, which is back in the spotlight this week with Rihanna's 20/20 interview. This is a brave, disturbing interview. I find it fascinating that people still feel that abuse has to be provoked; that she must have done something to 'deserve' this. It was seeing message boards and hearing interviews of women accusing Rihanna of inciting this behavior that sparked me to write this novel, which had been brewing in my head for a decade. I began dreaming about these characters; I began seeing them on the street, hearing them in my head. Now, after their lives have been written, I must ensure that the book is both true to their stories and true to the stories of Rihanna and the millions of women who deal with domestic violence.

I hope there aren't any parts that people skip. I hope that this novel resonates without being preachy or sanctimonious. I hope that it works.

No comments: