Pages

Thursday, January 7, 2010

Every word an opportunity, every word a responsibility, every word another chance. - A.L. Kennedy

With Snakes on a holiday in New York, I'm revising Novel 2, and am finding myself embarrassed by the hideous state of the manuscript. Countless writers have said that giving your work space to breathe is crucial. I hear it, but now I get it. And am moving forth with vigor.

I'm inspired by this piece in today's Guardian by A.L. Kennedy, describing the lone nature of writing that is peppered with imaginary friends who make us anything but lonely. And as for revisions: "Writers who tutor other authors may make suggestions, ask questions, give advice - but eventually the author is alone with the text: every word an opportunity, every word a responsibility, every word another chance. That's at least half the terrifying fun of it all."

No comments: