Pages

Monday, October 18, 2010

Running is not only about how many miles you ran last week. It is about community, about appreciating all the miles run by other runners, too. - Richard O'Brien

That's me crossing the finish line of the Aviemore 10K yesterday. Yep, that's my hand wiping sweat and a possible tear from my cheek. I'd never jogged 10 of anything in my life until yesterday at around 1pm.

I don't enjoy running. But M says I need 'weight-bearing exercise' (Pilates and yoga don't count, boo) and running is cheaper than a gym membership. I flirted with the idea a few months ago by reading Haruki Murakami's What I Talk About When I Talk About Running - 'weight-bearing exercise' means little to me, but the connection between writing and running just might. Murakami's book was engrossing - it's always fascinating reading about how an author's mind works - and taught me much about the meditative state that thumping one's feet against the earth can bring.

This writing/running connection borders on the cliche; in the title quotation, "miles you ran/miles run by others" could easily be exchanged for "words you wrote/words written by others". Flash fiction is a sprint, short stories or articles a track and field event, book-length works a marathon. Somewhere in the middle of any of these, you've got to find something inside to make you persevere. To finish.

When I trudged through the finish line, after feeling nauseous for the final half-mile, I felt a strange sense of calm; the same sense of calm that I feel when I've completed the first draft of a book. Hours of working and reworking text, hours of pushing the body - both work the muscle responsible for Getting It Done. Routine is important, as is repetition, focus, and, finally, achievement. Even if it's never published, or if I end up in last place for my age group - who cares? It's done. I know what I can achieve. And from here, I can move forward and make it better.

I'll probably keep running. As per usual, I'll spend the first five minutes wishing I were doing something else, then lose myself in a podcast - NY Times Book Review, or the World Book Club. And when I'm exhausted after, say, two miles, I will think of Murakami competing in a 62-mile ultramarathon. If he can do it, I can make it one more silly little mile. And if the image of Murakami doesn't work, I think of Simon Pegg at the end of Run Fatboy Run.

1 comment:

Colin Galbraith said...

Congratulations!!