Pages

Thursday, September 23, 2010

Remeasure. Reweigh. Try harder.

That's a quote from a pro-ana website. The fact that these websites exist is creepy.

I didn't recognize a woman at my pilates class this morning. We've spoken numerous times in the past two years, but I hadn't seen her since early August and she's so thin, she's unrecognizable at first glance.

Before class, I overheard a woman say to her, "You're wilting away." She frowned, and said, "No, I've still got a long way to go."

This woman is around 40 and I've seen her around town with her children and alone. Today, her face was sallow, the color was gone from her face, her hair was dull, and she was hiding in the back of the class. She looked nothing like the fresh-faced, pretty, energetic woman I was used to seeing out and about.

Do we ever grow out of our body issues? What kind of a message is this sending to young girls and boys?

No comments: